Tag Archives: Planning

Is B2 Planning Class OK for Permitted Waste Activities?

Is B2 Planning Class OK for Permitted Waste Activities?

We were contacted re. B2 Use for Permitted Waste Activity. We have obtained waste permits in the past for Permitted Waste Activities on sites with B2 planning use, and we have also had the use contested. This is our research, to clarify the matter.

pile of waste wood

B2 Planning Class for Permitted Waste Activity – General UK Wide Consensus

Class B2 (General Industrial):

  • Activities: Used for a wide range of industrial processes that don’t fall under Class E. This includes:
    • Manufacturing (For Example Plastic Bags)
    • Engineering
    • Production facilities
    • Machine construction/repair
    • Lighter industrial uses not suitable for residential areas due to factors like noise, fumes, or machinery.
  • Exclusions: B2 excludes:
    • Incineration
    • Chemical treatment of waste
    • Landfill or hazardous waste (these are considered “sui generis” uses)

So is it OK?

So in conclusion B2 planning use is acceptable for some permitted waste activities provided they don’t include:

  • incineration or
  • chemical treatment of waste or
  • landfill or
  • hazardous waste

So being these exclusions are now known a number of permitted waste activities that could be included under B2 planning use these might include:

  • waste transfer without treatment waste transport with physical treatment or thermal treatment that doesn’t involve burning.

So which Environmental Permits can be used with B2 Planning?

With regards to stand permit,therefore the below truncated list may apply:

However bespoke permits may also be suitable for use under B2 Planning Use.

So That’s It Then? I can use B2!

Unfortunately it is not quite as simple as it seams.

B2 planning use allows for a variety of industrial processes, but with limitations on waste activities. Here are some examples of waste activities that might be compatible with B2 use, but remember to check with your local authority for specific regulations:

Lower-impact processing:

  • Bulky waste sorting and processing: This could involve separating bulky items like furniture or appliances for reuse, recycling, or dismantling.
  • Construction and demolition waste processing: Sorting, crushing, or separating inert construction waste materials (e.g., concrete, bricks, wood) for recycling or reuse.
  • Paper and cardboard recycling: Sorting, baling, or shredding paper and cardboard for recycling facilities.

Important Considerations:

  • Intensity of the activity: B2 is unlikely to be suitable for large-scale or intensive waste processing activities. Noise, dust, and traffic volume associated with the activity should be within acceptable limits.
  • No treatment or disposal: B2 excludes waste incineration, chemical treatment, and landfill operations. These require specific planning permissions under a different class.
  • Local authority policies: Even for permitted activities, your local council might have additional restrictions within their plans for B2 use class areas.

Here are some examples of waste activities that would likely NOT be suitable for B2 use:

  • Chemical processing of hazardous waste
  • Large-scale incineration of waste
  • Landfill operations
  • Large-scale composting facilities (might be considered under B2 with limitations depending on odor and traffic)


It cannot be said for certain as to whether a B2 use is suitable for a Permitted Waste Activity. It probably will be provided the activity doesn’t involve :

  • Incineration
  • Chemical treatment of waste
  • Landfill or hazardous waste (these are considered “sui generis” uses)

But there are also interpretations around intensity and nature of treatments, and also local authority polices.

Whilst we not maged to find example of where a local policy may prevent B2 planning use for waste, we can envisage that “intensity” in particular could be interpreted to incorporate a broad set of meaning by local planning authorities.

60 Day Rule for Camping & Flood Risk

60 Day Rule for Camping & Flood Risk

You have been Asked for a Flood Risk Assessment and Flood Warning Plan when you have decided to extend your 28 days camping rule, to 60 days you may be required to submit a Flood Risk Assessment and a Flood Warning Plan. We can write both of these for you.

In the last chapter on this page we offer a up a few tips if you would like to try and write you own flood risk assessment.

a picuture show camping and tents flooded in a field the water is muddy and you cannot see the gound the tops of the colourful tents are poking out of the surface of the flood water

Glastonbury 2005 – Creative Commons 2.0 – sebFlyte

The 60-day Rule

  • Introduced in July 2023, it allows landowners to use their land as a campsite for up to 60 days per calendar year for up to 50 pitches, without needing full planning permission.
  • It applies to tents, motorhomes, and campervans (but not touring caravans).
  • You must notify your local planning authority beforehand with details like dates, site plan, and waste disposal methods.

Flood Risk and the 60-day Rule

Sites in Flood Zone 2 or 3 Require Additional Consideration

Even outside Flood Zones 2 & 3, be Cautious

      • Check historical flood maps and local flood risk information.
      • Choose campsites on high ground, away from bodies of water, and avoid low-lying areas.
      • Stay updated on weather forecasts and be prepared to evacuate if necessary.


  • The 60-day rule simplifies permissions, but flood safety remains paramount.
  • Prioritize safety and choose campsites with minimal flood risk, regardless of the rule’s applicability.

A Little Help

We fully appreciate that some smaller campsite, may not make a huge amount of money, and as such we provide the below hints for writing your own Flood Risk Assessment which perfectly OK thing to do.

  • Why not use Google Gemini to Write the Bulk of the Text for You
  • Order a “Product 4” from the Environment Agency (You can do this via “Flood Map for Planning “)
  • Use the data they provide (you have to wait 20 days) to write you report.
  • Move camping areas to low risk areas.
  • Use flood risk areas for open areas or sports areas.
  • Describe what people will do if the campsite becomes flooded, and where they can shelter.
  • Read about “flash flooding” and what the dangers are, think about how you can warn people about it (sign up to flood warnings and sever weather warnings).

Lots of Help

We can do this for you if you like.